- Aristotle's Dramatic Diagram, "The basic shape is a hill or mountain, which represents the journey the protagonist must make" (113). This kind of mapping seems to be the easiest to start out with. Ohler said that "Aristotle referred to conflict/resolution in terms of tying and untying a knot." This helped me to understand this diagram better. It is also helpful to know that this works for younger students.
- The Joseph Campbell Map is made up of a circle. A useful metaphor to help explain this is "the never-ending story and the journey home" (114). The character ends up where they started but is a different person. This explanation from Ohler was helpful in understanding this map.
- The treasure map was also very interesting. I think the name itself would get students interested in using this map. The character is suddenly thrown into a situation and this map helps to show this sequence in a story. The treasure map can go up and down a few times in the story so there is flexibility.
- I pointed out these maps from the chapter because it shows how many different varieties of story maps that can be used. They can also be used for different reasons. These maps are all good resources for future reference.
- Kieran Egan says to "develop lesson plans based on the story from rather than the typical task-subtask lesson plan structure that was in such prevalent use" (118). I liked this section on lesson plans because it gave useful information for the future in teaching DST.
- "We don't know what we don't know, a fact that ensures we all have a lot to learn" (125). I liked this quote and helps remind us we are always learning and DST is no different.
- The Story Edge of the Western Tradition "Antiheros, antiplots, stream of consciousness, telling with texture, and other forms of narrative all stretch our concept of story in interesting and useful ways" (127). The quote sums up the section in this chapter. (I like quotes this week!)
Video #4
I decided to do a mashup of my favorite TV shows and their intros. I downloaded an add-on to FireFox and got the videos from YouTube. I hope you enjoy!
Well we do watch some of the same shows. Interesting idea for a mash up. There is a lot of juxtaposition between shows like big bang and dexter which makes your video one of the more traditional mashups I have seen. Also the story is cohesive and tells us about your favorite things. Good job.
ReplyDeleteI liked that you mentioned the journey home. The journey home from Campbell is a fairly important element for his hero's journey. It really shows off the changes the hero has undergone in the course of the quest, and it is what leads into the next quest ultimately.
I see that we, too, watch some of the same TV shows. I do think that you put the clips together nicely- though I noticed that the download helper left a watermark. Not that it's an issue.
ReplyDeleteI too, wonder what my students would do with DST in terms of music videos. The times I have brought music in to the classroom so far have been successful. Nicely done!
I have to agree that Aristotle's Dramatic Diagram (arc-shaped) is by far the most common map I've seen. I have seen it used in kinder to 8th grade classrooms. This chapter got me wondering how much educator's know about the other shapes that could be used. It seems as though it would be an interesting challenge to have students work with a more creative or challenging map diagram once they have mastered the traditional arc.
ReplyDeletejulie
Hi Shannon,
ReplyDeleteYou summarize him well and I could use your post to remind me about the chapters. I agree that students could get hooked into video about music. That might be a good place to have them practice outlining story maps.
Deb
Well done video, use of transitions between clips works nicely.
ReplyDeleteLike the idea of pointing out types types of mapping might work well with younger students; Aristotle's Dramatic Diagram treasure map.
There are other forms at least to be aware of, music videos might be a good place to build from.