The five phases of production are:
- Story Planning and Getting Ready
- Preproduction
- Production
- Postproduction
- Performance, Posting, Showing, and Distribution
Ohler mentions if students have a hard time with the phases, to relate them to something they already know how to do like use a cellphone, or conducting and experiment. These are good ways to help the students relate to what they already know how to do to help with with DST.
The checklist for getting ready is also helpful:
- Training scheduled?
- Administrative and teacher buy-in?
- Tech access and support?
- Parent Permission?
- Assessment strategies?
- Permission to use media?
This checklist is a good reminder for a teacher and what they should have accomplished before beginning DST in their classroom.
Ohler talks about time. This is very important because it would be very time consuming to fit in everyday with everything else that needs to be taught each day. I am glad he pointed out how much time would be needed. I also liked figure 11.3 Story Development Process. It is a good way to see this.
Preproduction in a Nutshell:
- Finalize story planning.
- create media list.
- Get the media.
I liked how this was at the beginning of chapter 12 because it gives a good overview of what to reference later. I appreciate all of the details in the rest of the DST process and I think they are pretty well explained.
Video #5
I decided to do a video about the website www.teacherspayteachers.com. I used the screenr program. My computer was and is still having issues downloading Java so I could use the programs listed. I had to use another computer to do this. Hopefully I can fix mine. Hopefully this video can be useful.
I've never heard of this site, what a great idea. I liked your confidence as you narrated the process of finding materials. You've obviously worked with this before. The video was clear and easy to follow - not too fast - and the narration was great. Nice Job!
ReplyDeleteJulie
Chapter 11 & 12; I also found the information on time commitment from these chapters. There is really a large amount of time to devote to this process and without knowing that in the beginning, the project may not be successful. The steps were helpful to see and a nice baseline to follow, I wonder if adjustments would/could be made depending upon the class size, skill level, etc. Good summary.
ReplyDeleteI also thought the phases of production and the checklist were very helpful, especially for teachers (like me!) who have never done this before. I love the preproduction phase that requires movie-makers to come up with a list of media to use and find that media before ever beginning production. I don't think I've always included that step and I probably wasted some time becasue of it.
ReplyDeleteI think your video is great. I love teacherspayteachers, and I thought you did a good job of explaining the site and its features!
Shannon, you did a very good job of summarizing the chapters in your blog post. I like how you separated out the different sections and their key topic.
ReplyDeleteYour video was very useful. I showed me a site I had not heard of I will definitely look into in the future. The sound quality was good, the website was clear. Maybe some background music would have elevated it a little.
This is good:
ReplyDeletePreproduction in a Nutshell:
1. Finalize story planning.
2. create media list.
3. Get the media.
Thanks for sharing the website tour, interesting, good overview.