In this chapter Ohler wanted to convey two things to the teachers: 1) "develop the basic vocabulary and perspectives needed to discuss new media production with their students and 2) create assessment rubrics for new media production that are simple and useful."
I like his suggestion on how to find "the bumps." Ohler says to watch a video twice while grading. "Watch it once for the story and then watch it immediately afterward" (179). This is a good technique because when you watch a video for the first time no matter what it is and follow the story. When it is watched again you can be more aware of the different aspects going on. I know this to be true because some movies I grew up watching there are things I notice now that I didn't see the first time I watched. Being familiar with a story and then checking it for "bumps" is a good point.
I like Ohler's suggestions for using pictures in videos. The person watching should not be squinting trying to figure out what they see. It is okay to tell a student to find a better way to get a clearer picture. This is a good skill students should understand. Paying attention to detail is important.
Lastly, make sure the audio is good! This is important just in case something were to happen with the picture the viewer still knows what is going on. Ohler makes many good points in this chapter. These were just a few that stuck out to me.
Hi Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI liked the advice of watching videos twice too. Though time is a factor when trying to watch a whole class's videos twice! It is nice to be able to sit back and watch just for the storyline itself and then to go back and critique it.
You also mentioned audio - I think the narration and music need to be crisp or they end up being annoying - I have found this with my DST.
Hey Shannon,
ReplyDeleteThe last point you brought out from Ohler, about making sure the audio is good just in case something in your picture is not, gave me an idea. Do you suppose you could make sure your picture is good (maybe add text) just in case your audio isn't? As long as the story is maintained?
deb
Watching the video more than once and looking at different parts is a very good thing. Think about the video we watched during class. The first time we watched it we were looking at the story. The second time we watched it, we looked more past the story and more at the grammar.
ReplyDeleteAudio, I feel is my downside at times. It is either too loud or too soft. This is where I really need to concentrate my efforts in my final video project.